Welcome to this blog on WordPress. It is a tool to write on the NET. You can easily create blogs and share your interests with a wider audience, on topics as varied as :
- Gadgets installation
WordPress is convenient, involves less maintenance and is search engine friendly.
What is WordPress made up of?
Let’s understand the elements that make up WordPress.
Its basic building blocks are :
- Page – All the landing screens are called pages. The content in a page is static.
- Posts – Post allows a blogger to write a comment as an update on the content of the page. This is like an additional write-up to the existing page. A date for that post is important.
- Media – You can upload any image – presentation, a PDF file, a video, a jpeg file – using Media. This will enhance the content in your blog.
- Comments – With this allows readers of your blog can submit a comment or feedback.
Additionally, WordPress provides design blocks and General settings some of which are described below:
- Plug ins are used to add any new feature in your website.
- Themes – is a design block of WordPress and allows you to change the layout or look of your website.
- Users – This is a design element in WordPress that allows visitors to your website become registered users. With Users element, visitors can create a username and password and login to your site. In fact, you are already a registered user for your site.
How do I start using WordPress?
To start using WordPress, you need to know about domains in which WordPress can be used. And also you need to create your username and get a URL. Only then can you begin to use it. This blog is limited to starting WordPress only. For creating a website please visit my <youtube link or blog>
Which types of wordpress exist?
- Free domain : There is a WordPress.com domain which allows you to create your blogs for free. The only requirement being you have to use the domain name of wordpress.com. Example: dummyuser.wordpress.com. So here dummyuser is your blog username. You will be known by this name.
- Paid Domain : In the case of paid domain case, you need to purchase the domain name. And it will not have wordpress.com in it. It will be a custom domain. Example samplecompany.co.in. Where I have bought the “samplecompany.co.in” domain for a price. Typically, as a beginner start with the free domain, and later transfer your content to your own paid domain. In fact WordPress hosts paid domains so you can buy one from WordPress itself.
Creating a username on WordPress and getting a URL
To begin on free domain of WordPress do the following steps:
Step 1: Go to http://www.wordpress.com. As shown in screen below, enter a valid email id. You may create new email id in any email software like gmail or yahoo or linkedIN. And then enter it.
Step2: Write a user name of your choice, say dummyuser. Enter a password of your choice. Now this becomes your username and password to log into WordPress . If dummyuser already exists then select some other user name of your choice.
Step3: Next you register for a domain you want. The screen looks like this.
Type “samplecompany.wordpress.com”. If this URL is available, WordPress will automatically create a free URL as https://samplecompany.wordpress.com. This URL can then be shared for people to visit your website.
Once the site is available for you on the free domain, you will get a button that says Get Started. See below.
To get started, keep the following things ready.
- Step 1: Plan a name to the site.
- Step 2: Decide the navigation Menu.
- Step 3: Plan your Homepage. Rememeber WordPress gives you some pages by default such as Home, About, Blog, Contact.
- Step 4. Decide footer Menu
- Step 5: Decide on sidebar items if required.
- Step 6: Finally go to http://www.wordpress.com and click on get started.
WordPress has become a very popular blogging script today. 36% of all websites are written using it. Go ahead and start exploring this free and open-source content management system. Contact me for advanced levels of WordPress at <my contact>.