Education is the fundamental right of every child, regardless of origin, caste, color, creed, or religion. School is considered a temple where students sit together, under the same roof, and learn with the same teacher. We do not see school as where traditional knowledge is imparted but where experiments are carried out or other experiments will be read and told about. Education makes human beings social and cultural. Through education, we can simplify, purify and balance the activities in society.
Nowadays, it has become a business today because of the poor condition of the infrastructure and resources such as older and damaged or shortage of school buildings, shortage of study and teaching materials, lack of the sitting capacity of classrooms, higher teacher-student ratio, lack of gaming & playing area and supporting infrastructure for the school environment like lack of electricity access, toilets etc. The fact cannot be denied that education plays a vital role in the country’s development. Hence, there is a lot of work that is required to improve the infrastructure of the school-;
- Renovate and Reconstruct old buildings— Work place always affects our lives, even parents wish that the starting phase of life of their children should be the best. Well, designing classrooms and schools has multiple benefits. Upgrading and revamping buildings enhances the school facilities and students’ academic performance. It also retains the best staff and teachers in the school. While designing the room, a few things should be considered for instance- natural light, air, furniture, colors, artificial light and acoustics etc. Remember that these are the keys to the success of a school and make a healthy relationship between pupils, parents and staff.
- Issues Related to Study Materials—A “Textbook “is the chief instrument for the teachers and the students. These materials and resources help the students to enhance the learning process. Through the concept, they develop their knowledge and enhance their skills with new ideas. Teaching and studying materials is a way of communication between teachers and students which helps to stimulate their thinking and reasoning by suggestive questions of all categories of students. Therefore, course material should be objective-oriented as well as pupil-centered. The content should cover the topic in the syllabus for a particular class and for a particular year. The content must be up-to-date, authentic, adequate and reliable. The aim should be to accomplish the objectives of knowledge, understanding power, interest and attitude. A well and simply designed course delimits the boundaries of content matter and indicates the direction to the teacher where and how has to go.
- Seating Area Capacity—The classroom is a place where students interact with teachers most of the time. A well-designed and organized classroom helps students and teachers to interact with each other and to carry out their teaching-learning activities in a focused manner. Well-defined classroom management strategies help every child to grasp the taught lessons in an adequate manner. Every learner has their individual learning capacity such as some need extra attention, while others don’t and teachers need to give additional attention to those learners. Over-sized classrooms restrict teachers from doing so.
- Teacher-student ratio—A significantly low teacher-student ratio helps the teacher to give personal attention, time and support to each student. Ideally, there should be 1.5 teachers per class so that teachers can comprehend how much best shot they have to put to make teaching-learning effective. A smaller number of students in the class helps the teachers recognize the faces and names, and tailor the weaknesses and needs of the individual ones. Most of the education boards in India advocate for the ratio of teacher-student not beyond 1:30.
- Lack of gaming and playing area--Today it is considered that children learn more through play. Many researchers accepted that” game is an integral part of the learning process” because they reduce study pressure on the learners, helps them to shape their attentiveness, and guide the brain on how to learn. Physical activities overcome the stress of study and energise the learner to understand the content easily. Unfortunately, multiple schools don’t have playgrounds and, if it is then not satisfactory. The government has made strict rules for schools to have a playground. As someone has well said, “A healthy body lies on a healthy mind” because it drains stress from the mind and helps learners to focus more on their goals. Physical activities make the overall development of a child. Every child has their individual potential, some are good in studies, while others are in sports or co-curricular activities so we should give them an opportunity to showcase their interest or potential. Nowadays every field has a career, so don’t give less importance to games.
- Hygiene & Sanitation—School hygiene is essential as it has a positive effect on children’s physical and cognitive growth. The school must have age appropriate washroom for both boys and girls and this will prevent the transmission of communicable diseases. Furthermore, schools should focus on girls’ menstrual hygiene facilities which help to reduce the number of absenteeism as well as the risk of pregnancy after marriage. Schools should facilitate sanitary pads, private changing spaces and disposal of menstruation waste. Schools have safe drinking water, clean basins, and functional adequate water for hand washing.
- Electricity Access—Electricity plays a crucial role in our lives as well as in education. Access to energy increases the teaching resources and classroom materials such as computers, projectors and smartboards. With the help of electricity, teachers can make copies of school assignments and do research online for activity materials which can make teaching-learning more effective. Many schools are going for a modernization system. Schools must believe in the practical method rather than the theoretical one. Schools focused on projectors, innovative classes, imparting knowledge of computers, and keeping essential documents digital whether about school or students instead of manually.
- Skilled teachers—Well-educated and qualified teachers have the skill to convert information into graspable knowledge for the pupils. This process creates curiosity among the students as a result, they become full-blown learners even after completing school. Skilled teachers have the ability to achieve learning outcomes through their practice and knowledge. A successful teacher’s lesson plans are child-centric and this helps them to achieve their objective. Sometimes they need to possess a few “extra skills”. In addition, communication skills are also crucial as they help to make an effective and healthy relationship between students, parents and colleagues.
- Organizational Management System— It is a fact that without a defined management system consisting of norms and rules, an organization cannot function properly and succeed. Whether it is a school, college or university. Rules help to run the organization in a systematic way. Further, we will discuss why an organizational management system is essential for an organization and the major components of the educational organization management system.
- Policies, Processes & Guidelines: School management should formulate and establish policies and processes to achieve goals and motivate higher learning among learners. Police keep the school updated about the educational needs of the students and teachers.
- Communication: Keep transparency among pupils, teachers, parents and stakeholders about the core values and principles of the school so, that they can do their work effectively.
- Defined Responsibilities: Every time, everyone cannot be there to make sure that roles and responsibilities are done by people or not. So guidelines help to maintain the standard of quality work.
- Policy helps everyone either” students or adults “to get equal opportunity to succeed in life, regardless of their race, gender, background and circumstance.
Conclusion—We consider school a “temple” where everyone sits together and acquires knowledge. It is true that teaching is the only profession that creates all other professionals. However, sometimes school management makes wrong or delayed decisions, which create obstacles in the progress of the school. Thus, efficient planning can solve all the problems. Planning should be uniform, flexible, acceptable and stable. In addition, we can associate with education companies or NGOs who can reduce the problems by giving proper policy guidelines, providing teacher training assessment strategies and effective use of technology. You can go for the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) process because it generally consists of small steps that help to create a proper plan with fewer possibilities of failure.